Sea Crew trainee gets week-long detention order for inviting co-worker to hotel room while staying at home

SINGAPORE — While in isolation last year at a hotel that was a designated Covid-19 quarantine facility, a Sea Crew trainee invited his colleague to his room for a chat, just three days away the end of their stay-at-home order period.

The colleague, who had been in and out of his own room several times, then ran into the hotel’s duty manager along the hallway, prompting the manager to review CCTV footage. .

Sea crew trainee Yeo Ee Kai, 27, was sentenced to a seven-day detention order on Friday August 26 after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit an offense under the Infectious diseases.

Offenders who receive this community sentence will have to serve a sentence behind bars, but they will not have a criminal record when they are released.

For exposing others to the risk of Covid-19 and for not wearing a mask when leaving his room, the colleague, Thanasegaran Elancharan, faced 10 counts. He was later sentenced to three weeks in prison and fined S$1,000 after pleading guilty on October 5 last year.

The two men arrived in Singapore on April 30 from the Dominican Republic on board the ship APL Barcelona.

Both were given a 14-day stay-at-home notice from that day until May 14. They were informed that they were not allowed to leave their respective rooms at any time during this period or have visitors inside their rooms, under Covid-19 regulations. here.

Yeo was assigned to hotel room 350 at the Holiday Inn Singapore Orchard City Center near Orchard Road, while Thanasegaran was accommodated in room 354.

Court documents showed that Yeo sent a WhatsApp message to Thanasegaran asking him to chat in person.

Thanasegaran left his room around 3 a.m. on May 11 without wearing a mask and took a bottle of whiskey to share with Yeo. He returned to his own room over an hour later.

Later, Thanasegaran came out of his room again around 4:30 a.m., but was caught in the act by the hotel manager.

A review of CCTV footage showed Thanasegaran left his room a total of five times without putting on his mask.

Their case was then referred to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority for investigation.

Anyone found guilty for the first time of failing to comply with the home stay notice requirements may be fined up to S$10,000 or imprisoned for up to six months, or both.