QUEBEC CITY — Quebec police have reopened an investigation into a 2014 sexual assault allegation involving Gatineau Olympiques players of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
QUEBEC CITY — Quebec City police have reopened an investigation into a 2014 sexual assault allegation involving Gatineau Olympiques players of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
The QMJHL said in a statement Friday that it had been notified of the reopening of the investigation and that it would offer its “full cooperation” to the Quebec police department.
Le Soleil reported in 2015 that a woman had filed a complaint alleging sexual assault involving four Olympiques players in a hotel room in Quebec City in January 2014.
Quebec police say the investigation has been reopened due to a “new element”. The initial police investigation ended in March 2015 without any charges being laid.
“For obvious reasons of confidentiality, we cannot provide information relating specifically to this case,” said Const. David Pelletier, spokesperson for the Quebec police department. “However, whether a case is active or not, as soon as a new item is added, the investigation continues.”
Pelletier said the police department has taken steps to improve how it handles sexual assault complaints.
The reopening of the investigation comes as Hockey Canada faces scrutiny for its handling of sexual assault allegations in 2018 and 2003 against players on its world junior men’s team.
This report from The Canadian Press was first published on August 12, 2022.
The Canadian Press