Crew of Stolt Sakura COVID ship docked in Fremantle discharged from hospital as two remain in intensive care

Two other crew members of a COVID-riddled oil and chemical tanker moored off Fremantle have been transferred from a hospital to around 40 hotels.

The MV Stolt Sakura has 12 positive crew members, five of whom remain on the ship. Two are in intensive care at Fiona Stanley Hospital, one of them in serious and unstable condition. The other is also serious, however, his condition is stable.

Two other sailors are treated in the respiratory department of the hospital and are stable.

Yesterday, two of their teammates were discharged from hospital to hotel quarantine after their condition improved, joining one of their peers who was released earlier in the week.

The Stolt Sakura arrived in Fremantle on Saturday after the crew began reporting flu-like symptoms.

Camera iconSome of the crew of the Stolt Sakura were released from the hospital. Credit: Jackson flindell/West Australian

Three crew members of the tanker and chemical tanker were disembarked from the ship and taken to hospital on the day of his arrival, and three others – one of whom was in a wheelchair – were removed and hospitalized hours later.

Positive cases who remain on board should remain isolated on the ship unless their condition worsens and they need to be transferred for medical treatment.

They are among 15 active COVID-19 cases in WA – seven of which, including two crew members, are in hotel quarantine.

“WA Health will continue to work with the vessel and key maritime stakeholders regarding its ongoing management,” a statement from the WA Department of Health said.

Stolt Sakura.
Camera iconStolt Sakura. Credit: Simon santi/West Australian

The state has not recorded any new cases of COVID-19 overnight, with the total remaining at 1,110. To date, 1,086 people have recovered from the virus in WA.

It comes after health officials in WA were able to breathe a sigh of relief after 50 close and casual contacts of a diplomat infected with COVID-19 tested negative for the virus.

The diplomat – a man in his 30s – traveled from Serbia to Perth via Dubai with his wife and young child, arriving on September 29.

The family were self-quarantining themselves at a Northbridge apartment complex when the man tested positive. Her four-year-old son has also since been infected.

They, along with all close contacts, will remain in quarantine for 14 days and be managed by public health officials at WA Health.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.